Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Lesson 1: Be People Oriented - Neighbours’ Stories


[Green time stamp]
Waiting for Secretary at Dinner
the 18th day

8 lessons for Mrs Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor How to be a good Secretary for Development
Lesson 1: People Oriented - Residents' Stories

Note: The Development Bureau is responsible for urban redevelopments that uphold the principles of “Being People Oriented” and “Keeping social network and local characteristics”.


Exercise:
1. The “People” in “People Oriented” stands for?

1._______, 2.________, 3.________, 4._______

Hints: a. developers, b. neighbours, c. government officials, d. citizens, e. tourists, f. others

2. If the “People” in “People Oriented” stands for neighbours in the redevelopment district, have you considered their voices?

Mr Lai (age 63): I started to be an electrician from 1959, and have business in SSP in this small store for 30 years. I love this place. I live upstairs, my family members can help me in the store while I am out. The store is small but I can feed my family. The proprietor is willing to rent it to me in a lower price. I always help the elderly to repair their electrical appliances for free, it doesn’t matter, we are old neighbours!

Ms Chu (age 49): My grandfather bought this little stair-side store in forty something years ago, and now it is passed to me and my brothers. Neighbours from the upstairs are pleased because we can act as guards. The store opens 24hrs and we had put a lot of efforts in showing hundreds of types of publications in such a small space. We are friends with our neighbours, we always chat when we are free.


3. Let’s think: From the above, do you think that the residents lives are of a good quality*? Why?
*To maintain good living quality is the main theme of Development Bureau in 2007-2008
Ans: Yes__ No__ (Please tick)
I think this because____________

4. Let’s think: From the above stories, please state the local characteristics of SSP.
Ans:___________________________

5. Let’s think: If were is no redevelopment, do you think that the lives of the above neighbours would continue in a sustainable way? Why?
Ans: Yes__ No__ (Please tick)
I think this because____________

No comments: