Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Lesson 6: Development Directions: Public Participation

[in green time stamp:]
Waiting for Secretary
for to offer her
promised solution:
the 43rd day
8 lessons for Mrs Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor
"How to be a good Secretary for Development"
Lesson 6: Development Directions - Public Participation


Note: According to the government website, the Secretary of Development has pledged to work with the general public in taking forward the mission and the work of the Development Bureau.

Exercise:
[the cartoon citizens are saying:]
• I don’t understand the government policy, how can I participate? • I have to work, I don’t know where to the information about the government policy! • I know how to grow plants, but I am illiterate, how can my opinion be heard? • I didn't know the government had organized any public consultation meeting! • The government did not invite me to the public consultation meetings, and would not let me in!• In the public consultation, I raised my hand for a long time, but got no chance to speak! • The government just recorded part of my opinion. • The government officials said they just come to listen, but would not say anything. • I have shared my views but I don’t know how the government will respond. • Who will put our ideas into practice?

Discussion questions:
1. With a citizen-participation two-way communication model, can the above questions be resolved? How?
2. Besides planning development policy, the government could also invite the public to be involved in:
(Please tick appropriate boxes)
_ carrying out the policy planned by public involvement
_ follow up how policity is carried out
_ estimating and evaluating the outcomes
_ recommending improvements
_ organizing a dinner for communication between citizens and government officials
_ other

No comments: